We don't realize how much we need electricity until it's gone. That is why emergency generators act as a backup and save us in times of need. If you are doing some of your essential office works or any chores and you suddenly face a power outage, these emergency generators will help you and can be your backup. Before you buy an emergency portable generator for your household or even for your office, there are some of the guidelines you need to know. In this article, we will give you an insight into the key factors to look for while buying an emergency generator and dor you to find the one that will suit your needs.
Emergency generator size:
When it comes to emergency portable generators, there are usually three different kinds of sizes. They are medium, large and extra-large sized generators. We haven't included small-sized generators because they cannot be used for heavy power during outages. The below image will help you to understand the size and uses of those generators.
Medium emergency generators:
The medium emergency comes with 1000-5000 watts, which gives you good power. While a small generator can only support a few things. This medium-sized generator can support some bulky electrical devices like refrigerators, fans, and sump pumps. If you are buying an emergency generator for your home, I recommend you go with inverter generators. They are compact, don't take much space, and they are also efficient when it comes to performance.
They are a little more pricey than standard generators, but they are also more powerful than standard generators. That's why most household who wants a good backup generator go for inverter generators. The medium-sized emergency generator could support only a few electronic devices. So prioritize your needs accordingly and connect your generator. Some people might need a generator for their fridge to run the whole day while others need basic amenities like light and a fan. Choose according to your necessities.
Large emergency generators:
If you want to take your backup power to the next level, consider a large emergency generator. These generators come with 6000-8000 which is enough to support all your amenities in your homes like your microwave, induction stove, and refrigerator. You can also use your washing machine and coffee maker, basically all your household electric items. You can fully support your house's electrical needs with this generator just excluding your AC (they are power consuming). If you are a single-family with two to three-room, these large generators are more than enough for your everyday need.
Extra-large generators come in handy for a big family with multiple rooms. These generators can charge up many high power electronic appliances and much more. These generators have 10000-17500 watts and can power up high motorized devices. These extra-large generators come with an electric start, but you have to start the generator manually. If you are planning for a long-term generator, you are best to look at a whole house generator. These generators have good performance overall, and you can select according to your living environment and usage.
There are two main types of emergency generators, namely portable generators and whole house generators.
Portable generators add on the merit of being portable because even a small electronic gadget without power is useless. Hence, portable Generators lend a hand with these smaller items. They are a wise option, and since they are compact, they can be wheeled out of your garage anytime. The necessary fuel for them is gasoline, so keep them in a safe environment away from kids. Some of the best portable generators are:
This Honda EU2200i is easy to handle. You can carry this generator in its housing insulation to keep it quite handy. It is a shoulder to lean on when you are faced with a blackout. This engine is very quiet. Honda can produce reliable power. Depending on the load, Honda EU2200i can run up to 9.6 hours on a single tank. When an additional EU2200i is added in parallel, extra power is generated. This helps to supplement RV power. The engine is more stable.
Honda 662220 EU2200i 2200 Watt Portable Inverter Generator Patio, Lawn & Garden
- This popular model can operate a wide variety of appliances, making it perfect for portable use at home, camping, on the job site, or much more. Reliable Power is now at your fingertips with Honda's Inverted Generators.
- So quiet, your neighbors will thank you. The EU2200i operates at 48 to 57 dBA, which is less noise than a normal conversation. This makes it ideal for camping, supplemental RV power and any other activity that requires quiet operation.
- Add a second EU2200i fo... Read More
2.Yamaha EF2000isV2 Portable Generator
The primary dealer of power equipment and motorsports is Yamaha. This engine delivers clean and consistent current by inverter technology with Pulse Width Modulation. Better fuel efficiency and durability have made this generator a most formidable competitor. This type of engine is more sophisticated and will satisfy your needs. The advanced system has made this generator power a wide range of applications. Since it is less than 45 pounds, it is compact, thus making it easy to transport. It has an improved output characteristic in the field of 1600w to 2000w.
YAMAHA EF2000iSv2, 1600 Running Watts/2000 Starting Watts, Gas Powered Portable Inverter,Blue Automotive
- 1600 watt rated AC output, 2000 watt maximum AC output, 13.3/16.7 amps @ 120V
- Super-quiet muffler with USFS-approved spark arrestor - 51.5 dBA at 1/4 load
- Smart Throttle varies engine speed based on load - improves fuel economy and reduces noise
- Inverter system with Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) control
- CARB Compliant ... Read More
3. Westinghouse WGen9500 Portable Generator
Quiet generators are very popular, you can put them in an enclosed place without disturbing the neighbors. But in reality, the only generator which could be trusted for its controlled noise pollution is Westinghouse WGen9500. The advanced system in this engine is that it can be placed anywhere along with other machinery. It gives a continuous power supply without any interruption. This is why the highest recommended engine to work in bad weather conditions is Westing WGen9500. This engine contains minimal residual oil, and it is tested functionally in the factory. The VFT display provides real-time updates on output voltage and frequency. It comes with a 3-year warranty.
Westinghouse Outdoor Power Equipment WGen9500DF Dual Fuel Portable Generator-9500 Rated 12500 Peak Watts Gas or Propane Powered-Electric Start-Transfer Switch & RV Ready, CARB Compliant, Blue Everything Else
- 9500 Running Watts and 12500 Peak Watts (Gasoline); 8500 Running Watts, 11200 Peak Watts (Propane); Remote Start With Included Key Fob, Electric and Recoil Start; Up to 12 Hours of Run Time on a 6. 6 Gallon Fuel Tank With Fuel Gauge
- Features Two GFCI 120V 5–20R Standard Household Receptacle, One Transfer Switch Ready 120V L14-30R, and One RV Ready 120/240V 14–50R; All Outlets Have Rubber Covers for Added Safety
- Powered by a Heavy Duty 457cc Westinghouse 4-Stroke ... Read More
Whole house generators:
A whole house generator can be a great source of power for both residential and industrial use. However, you can find many whole house generators on the market to help you choose the right one for you; we are here to help you select your new whole house generator. There are lots of generators in the market which could be overwhelming. These generators listed below are suitable for both housing and commercial purpose.
1.Generac 7043 Guardian Series
Generac whole house generator is one of the best generators. It is durable, reliable, robust, and it comes with an impressive 22,000 watts. This power is enough for all the appliances in your home. The attached LCD display indicates the fuel level and makes it easy for you to maintain the battery. Featured with a G- Force engine and RhinoCoat powder-coated finish. Combined with the automatic self-test, this will activate the generator immediately after the power cuts out.
Generac 7043 Home Standby Generator 22kW/19.5kW Air Cooled with Whole House 200 Amp Transfer Switch, Aluminum Patio, Lawn & Garden
- True power technology delivers best-in class power quality (less than 5% thd) for Smooth operation of sensitive electronics and appliances
- Includes a 200 amp NEMA 3 (indoor/ outdoor rated) whole house Smart transfer switch
- Generac evolution controller features LED indicators for generator status, utility power presence or maintenance required
- Tough, durable all-weather aluminum enclosure offers 3 removable sides for easy access for installation, service and mainten... Read More
2. Champion Power Equipment 100294 14KW
Champion 100294 is highly recommended for people who look for a whole house generator with low fuel consumption. It is a midsized capacity that can use it for both small and medium-size homes. This generator is very resistant to ranges of temperature between -22° F – 104° F. It is suitable for areas with extreme temperatures. It has two different fuel types like other generators. Natural gas supplies help to reduce the amount of refueling.
Champion Power Equipment 100294 Home Standby Generator Patio, Lawn & Garden
- Whole house 24/7 power - the Ats200 whole house transfer switch with demand control Provides seamless, managed power to your entire home during an outage
- Quietest-in-class - thanks to advanced sound dampening and a specially designed low-tone muffler, This generator operates at a residential-friendly 63 dba noise level
- Reliable - 24-volt starting system operates in sub-zero or extreme heat (between -22 Degree F and 104 Degree F) with no warming kit necessary, plus the genera... Read More
3. Kohler 20RESCL w. Commercial Grade Engine
Kohler 20RESCL is reliable and trustworthy as it has been on the market for several years. You can use this generator for commercial purposes like in airports and docks etc. The commercial-grade engine makes this model more popular in lots of industries. It is specifically designed for a longer run, and so you can use this non-stop for a whole day.
Kohler 20RESCL-100LC16 Air-Cooled Standby Generator with 100 Amp Transfer Switch Single Phase, 20,000-Watt Everything Else
- 20,000-watt air-cooled generator automatically starts up when the power goes out
- Includes 100 amp 16-circuit automatic transfer switch
- Fast response--power to your home in 10 seconds; premium power quality; quiet operation
- 100% corrosion-proof enclosure offers protection from even the harshest seaside conditions
- Measures 48 by 26.2 by 29 inches; 5-year/2000-hour limited warranty, Battery type needed - Group 51
- Warranty Coverage- Five (5) years f... Read More
4. Briggs & Stratton 40396
Briggs & Stratton 40396 is one of the most popular models on the market. It is a high capacity generator and comes with different types of transfer switches. It makes the model more powerful and flexible than the other types of generators. Apart from this, you will also find impressive watts in this model.
Briggs & Stratton 40336 20kW Standby Generator, Gray Everything Else
- This 20kW with Symphony II Power Management can manage your home, up to 12,000 square feet with a 5-ton air conditioner saving you thousands less than a previously required larger, liquid cooled unit
- Closer placement options as close as 18 in. from your home per the National Fire Protection Agency 37 standard
- Closer placement options as close as 18 in. from your home per the National Fire Protection Agency 37 standard
- Comprehensive 5-year parts, labor, and travel l... Read More
If you don't want to sit in the dark during power outages, buying an emergency generator is one of the best solutions. With proper maintenance and regular check-ups, your emergency generators can run smoothly. Since every emergency situation can be different, you need to be prepared for anything. So having a backup emergency generator for your use is a good precaution.